Re: B & W or Color?

Don Castella (dcastell@interaccess.com)
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 23:08:06 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01BC873C.CD301840

Er.... what I meant to say was that the 256 grayscale mode of the Color
QuickCam is better than the 64 GRAYSCALE mode of the BW QuickCam

----------
From: Don Castella <dcastell@interaccess.com>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: B & W or Color?
Date: Wednesday, July 02, 1997 9:24 PM

I agree. The color QuickCam runs in 256 grayscale mode, which is
significantly better than the 64 color mode supported by BW QuickCams.

----------
From: Ciaran Carter <Ciaran.Carter@stbrn.ac.uk>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Date: Wednesday, July 02, 1997 7:27 AM

At 12:54 01/07/97 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Michael Kankiewicz wrote:
>
>> Other than cost considerations, are there any *disadvantages* to using=
>> color quickcam if you plan on sending in B & W.
>> IOW, is it slower or anything, need more RAM, etc?
>>=20
>
>Definitely! The color quickcam does a disappointing job in B/W. It is=20
>significantly poorer in b/w than the b/w quickcam. Either stick with a b=
/w

>quickcam, or get a decent color camera like the Compro D-cam which also=20
>does a beautiful job in b/w.

I suggest upgrading your drivers, the latest set of drivers for the colou=
quick cam produce a very good B&W image.

Ciaran

"Democracy isn't just the best from of government; it=92s the only one ev=
en
remotely worth a damn. Only democracy guarantees that people get what the=
deserve."
--Dark Conspiracy RPG

http://www.stbrn.ac.uk/
ftp://mail.stbrn.ac.uk/
CU-SeeMe Reflector test.stbrn.ac.uk
----------

From: Don Castella = <dcastell@interaccess.com>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Date: = Wednesday, July 02, 1997 9:24 PM

From: Ciaran Carter = <Ciaran.Carter@stbrn.ac.uk>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Date: = Wednesday, July 02, 1997 7:27 AM

At 12:54 01/07/97 -0400, you = wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Michael Kankiewicz = wrote:
>
>> Other than cost considerations, are there any = *disadvantages* to using a
>> color quickcam if you plan on = sending in B & W.
>> IOW, is it slower or anything, need = more RAM, etc?
>>

>Definitely!  The color = quickcam does a disappointing job in B/W. It is
>significantly = poorer in b/w than the b/w quickcam. Either stick with a b/w =
>quickcam, or get a decent color camera like the Compro D-cam = which also
>does a beautiful job in b/w.

I suggest = upgrading your drivers, the latest set of drivers for the = colour
quick cam produce a very good B&W = image.

Ciaran

"Democracy isn't just the best from of = government; it=92s the only one even
remotely worth a damn. Only = democracy guarantees that people get what = they