Re: Basic questions

Tue, 08 Jul 1997 06:34:42 +0200

Andre Fleurant wrote:

> Bonjour from Montreal,
>
> I want to install a videoconferencing system. Being completely green in
> this field, I dare ask a few questions.

> Q. 1
> Can CU-SeeMe be a good tool to use, for audio quality as well as video?
Check Xtx against CU-SEEME !
http://home.pages.de/~iphones

> Q. 2
> How does CU-SeeMe compare to MS-NetMeeting?

CU-SEEME & XtX: Multiuser and 1-1 connections, Whiteboard, text chat,
MS-Netmeeting: 1-1 connections only, but You may share applications
(i.e. documents), plus whiteboard and text chat.
Vocaltech Iphone: Just 1-1 connections, plus whiteboard and textchat.
> Q. 3
> Where, in a book or on the net, can I obtain good instructions [without
> having to enroll in PictureTel's Certified Videoconferencing Engineer (CVE)
> Program?]
> http://www.picturetel.com/esd/cve.htm
>
> Q.4-a
> What is the role of a REFLECTOR? I understand that it is necesssary for
> sessioins of 3 or more participants.
Yes, thats it. For Xtx, You must install a directory service server,
as far as I know.

> Q.4-b
> To install a REFLECTOR, do I need to have a separate IP address. Currently
> I am using a virtual server with my own sub-domain name and address.

If the ref is not connected to the Internet, You may use a static
local IP (no problem).
> Q.4.-b
> Q.5
> Does CU-SeeMe exist in a French version?
French people must learn english, too :-)

> Suggestions from those of you who have experience in remote classes will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Meilleures salutations et merci,
>
> Andre Fleurant
Iphones and video conferences overview:
http://home.pages.de/~iphones
http://home.pages.de/~contact2

Sincerely
Rolf

--
      /   /   /  Alone on the data highway...
    /       /    like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen