Re: Cu-SEEME with cable modem

Brian Principe (bap@highway1.com)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 23:00:58 -0400

Chad Theule wrote:

> Can you use a QuickCam and Cu-SeeMe software with a cable modem?
>
> I just had a cable modem with direct LAN-like Internet access installed in
> my home and I am considering purchasing a Connectic QuickCam with the
> Cu-SeeMe software.
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Chad

I use a cable modem and love it. I send at 28K and receive at 4mb.
However in Jacksonville, our Cable modem links have been known to just
die. I have noted others who have the same problem. My suggestion is to
not let the recv. rate go to high. It appears that the xmit needs to
send an "OK" and the difference between an 18 recv. and a 75 send
triggers the lock up. (I have no idea what technical chat I should put
here, only an observation)

Also, some reflectors limit xmit and recv., so you may not get to use
all the speed. But this is the same limitation Lan users experience (I
would guess)

Have fun and let me know if other cable modem users are out there....

P.S. Bill, if you are reading this, Thank you for your mighty fine
support.

Later....