Re: video drops out

Dave Enberg (denberg@gzea.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:46:42 -0400

Yes, I can be more specific.....the video stops being updated and their
screen is either frozen or gray. Also, most of the time I can see their
chat messages but they can't see mine. Sometimes I do get the error
message that the connection timed out.

does it take more system resources to transmit color than b&w with a
QuickCam? when I use ver 2.1.1, I try to change the video codec to
Cornell gray, but my video just turns light gray. None of the contrast
adjustments help. When I change it back to color, the video is black and
stays that way until I exit the program and restart it.

so, what you are saying is that if I have a 28.8 modem, then the maximum
transmit rate has to be 28?

Thanks so much for helping out
----------
From: Bill Woodland (Squeek) <wcw@bga.com>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: video drops out
Date: Wednesday, July 16, 1997 9:35 PM

Can you be a bit more specific? Does their actual video window disappear
from the screen, or does their video just stop being updated? If you wait
long enough after this happens, do you get any kind of message saying that
the connection timed out?

>My system profile is as follows:
>
>Quantex P75
>16 mb Ram
>800 mb HD
>28.8 fax modem
>soundblaster32 full duplex sound card
>Connectix Colorcam
>
>the cam works great with Internet Phone as does the audio...so idon't
think
>it is the cam. does anyone know the optimal system configuration for
using
>cuseeme? o why this is happening to my system?
>
>any help would be appreciated
>
>thanx
>Dave Enberg

I usually use 10/20 and 10/24 for my min/max transmit and receive rates,
respectivly. Having your rates set too high will cause timeouts. Keep in
mind that you can't send more than 28k on a 28.8 modem. The default rates
for the cornell version ar 10/60 and 10/60, so if you haven't adjusted them
accordingly, you can expect to have problems.

Bill Woodland (Squeek )) PC questions only, please.