Re: White Pine reflector 2.1 for win95

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 22:32:26 -0600

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 20:03:17 -0300
Kevin McCluskey <kevinmc@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

> The ref seems stable until 10 or so users get on and then I start to get
> fatal errors and the ref starts burping (restarting). The clients that are
> attaching are mac or windows or win95.
>
> Fatal error is: SocketSendTO(Cuseeme Unicast)
> FATAL ERROR: (No such file or Directory) EXITING
>
> B Godette was kind enough to explain that teh socket that listens for
> CU-See Me Unicast Data (UDP port 7648) has been closed. Now since this is
> a UDP socket, this error should never occur unless the reflector itself
> closes the socket, or couldn't create it to begin with -- Unicast is set to
> off.

It's definately an odd one for sure, and my own code suffers the same
symptoms on occasion. It'll probably turn out to be yet another MS bug
like the problem my code had under NT. Linux has a simular problem in
that ICMP "error messages" (network unreachable, connection refused, etc..) for
attempted TCP connections to 7648, used by WP's client to negotiate such
things like the conference selection dialog box will be returned on the
UDP socket, this isn't supposed to happen, but does, and AFIAK only
under Linux (even in 2.0.29 kernels).