Re: P133 too slow?

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:50:12 -0500

At 06:50 PM 7/23/97 BST, Andrew Clarke wrote:
>The problem isn't CU, it's what White Pine have done to it. They took
>version 2.1.1, which was relatively lean on system requirements, updated
>some codecs, added another, and bolted on one of the most useless
>interfaces it's ever been my misfortune to see. And I've helped people
>with thier first Visual Basic projects, so I know bad interface design
>when I see it :)

I agree...Steve Edgar at Cornell did some fantastic work in only 650k.

>The number of requests I get (to my 'other' email address) asking for
>help in locating version 2.1.1 for them to use instead of 3.0 is quite
>impressive.
>
>All it needs is for some enterprising person to pay the $75 to Cornell,
>get the 0.92b1 source and retrofit colour codec support and I can see
>thousands of people dumping 3.0 for good. =20
<snip>

As much as I would like to see that happen, it won't, at least not for $75,
and Cornell will NEVER support color, due to their agreement with White
Pine. Unfortunately the $75 deal does NOT give you the right to use the
source code to produce a product that will compete with White Pine's
product. There are four kinds of licenses. This is from the license page
at Cornell:

>(a) Restricted Internal Use Only License Agreement - This agreement, from
Cornell University,
>authorizes the use of the Cornell source code for experimentation and
research. No redistribution rights are
>provided. Please refer to the specific license for a complete statement of
rights and restrictions.=20

> Examples of activities that are permitted under this license are:=20
>
> A university graduate student doing a masters thesis on video
conferencing,=20
> An R&D lab within a corporation deciding if CU-SeeMe can fit
into the technology
> strategy for the company,=20
> A product development group determining if it can or wants to
develop an enhancement
> that would eventually be commercialized,=20
>

> Examples of activities that are not permitted under this license:
>
> Studying the algorithms for the intent of improving own
locally-developed competing
> end-user software,=20
> Making a modified version and using the modified version
internally for normal production
> or business purposes beyond research.=20

And even if someone was willing to pay the higher price for the license
they would need to make a competing product, THAT license requires that ALL
source code changes be sent to White Pine and Cornell, so they can add in
the same bug fixes or enhancements. See
http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/license.html for more info on the licenses from
BOTH Cornell AND White Pine.