Re: Can't Receive sound in Cu-seeme

Thu, 2 Jul 1998 01:53:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Compu Surf wrote:
> I have a 486 dx/40, 14.4 modem, Soundblaster Pro Soundcard, and 8 megs
> of memory. I'm using the 16bit version of cu-seeme, and I cannot
> receive any sound as a lurker (I have no video camera).

It's amazing you can get anything at all...You're on a 14kbps modem trying
to push 16kbps worth of data thru it. I guess it could be possible with
compression, but I wouldn't count on it. Upgrading to a 28.8kbps modem or
better would help tremendously. I'd recommend the lower bandwidth audio
codecs with the White Pine version of CU, but with only a 486-40, I'm not
sure you could run 2.X very well.