Re: Reflector on Linux Gateway w/Masquerading

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Mon, 06 Jul 1998 10:55:24 -0600

At 02:55 PM 7/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I run a Linux machine as a gateway for my home LAN to the Internet using
>IP Masquerading. Rather than mess around with trying to get CU-SeeMe to
>run through the masquerading, I decided that I could get a similar, but
>more versatile, effect by installing Reflector; that way, since the
>gateway knows both my internal IP addresses and the external addresses
>used on the Internet, everything ought to just work, and I'd have the
>added benefit of multiple connections. I'm planning on using this
>mostly for family electronic get-togethers, so this should work out
>well.
>
>However, I find that I can only connect to the Reflector under its
>'private' IP address and hostname, 192.168.1.10. Attempts from either
>my LAN or externally fail, with a 'cannot connect' message. I use the
>system regularly for PINGing, e-mail (as I'm doing here), and web
>browsing; these all work.
>
>So, it seems that Reflector has decided that it's running on one IP
>address and not the other. How can I change its mind?
>
>Thanks,
>Bruce

If you're using ERef, you'll need to add HOSTNAME with the ip address of
your ppp link to reflect.conf. The ip address will of course probably
change each time you connect unless you've got a static ip address with
your ISP.