Re: Cause of chat spew found.

Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:19:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Brian Godette wrote:
> After thinking up reasons for why chat spew was happening and how, I made
> modifications to ERef to cause it to happen and verify my theories. As a
> result I know now what chat spew is and what causes it, and that is that
> technically the clients (both Cornell and WP) are working as they should,
> however not really how the end user would like to see it.

Thanks for the revealing info (I love being a guinea pig too.. :))
The question isn't what can be done about it...but more, what WILL be done
about it. I'm sure Steve Edgar wouldn't mind modifying the Cornell 1.0
version to fix it if he had Martyne's blessing. But, from what I gather,
all of Steve's code is now in the hands of White Pine as they do what they
will to it. Perhaps the right people at White Pine will get your tips and
either verify them as correct or verify them as incorrect. I'm just
hoping that White Pine also "fixes" the Cornell client as well as their
"Lite" version. It would be a shame to see White Pine neglect to fix the
chat recovery problem in the Cornell version as a means of promoting their
own Lite version which would have it fixed.

Of course...that's going on the assumption that White Pine will fix it in
either of the clients...and that that's the actual problem.

> And of course the reason why chat spew wasn't seen until recently was
> because aux recovery was broken on non Mac cornell clients until 1.0 and on
> WP versions earlier than 3.0.

Which brings up the question...have Mac Cornell clients been experiencing
chat spew for ages?

Back to reading the Aux Data specs at
http://topdeals.com/cu-seeme/contents.html ... :)