Re: Color support for Mac OS...

Fri, 10 Jul 1998 21:45:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Mark J Dumstorf wrote:
> I have a Quadra 630 and System 7.5. When, if ever, is Cornell going to
> release a color version of CU for the Mac? I realize that WP has
> released a color Mac version, however, this requires a PPC.

I know a color version is in the works. I've talked to a few of the
people testing it. Right now, it's not ready for primetime. When it
becomes stable, I'm sure there will be a big announcement concerning it.
Cornell (or rather, Martyne at Cornell) has also announced that there
will be official 1.0 releases at some point. It could be a month, it
could be a year or two...whenever Martyne gets around to it among her
other duties. And whenever White Pine finishes "fixing" the Cornell
version.

But it's a moot point for you I believe...The version I've seen that
supports color on the Mac is PPC only as well. (Luckily, it's not a 6+
meg download like the WP 3.X version). It also doesn't suffer from the
hard to use interface that 3.X provides. I may be wrong, but the way I
understand it, a lot of the codecs need the processing power of the PPC
architecture. It sounds pretty much like the reasoning behind the lack of
a Win3.1 version that supports all the latest codecs. But I don't even
pretend to know since I'm not really a Mac person.

> Are there any additional alternatives which should be considered??
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated...

iVisit is looking pretty impressive..once Boxtop adds some more controls
and fixes a few of the glitches in the GUI, it should be an even more
impressive program. (http://www.ivisit.com). As far as CU-SeeMe
alternatives..you may try installing MkLinux and seeing if you can run
Q-SeeMe, but that's a bit of a stretch for most people. :) I have heard
people have had success using the Cornell 1.0 PC version with Virtual PC
on the Mac. I'm not sure if the color worked or not though.