Re: Question for Brian, streak, those in the know

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:20:46 -0600

At 02:55 PM 7/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I am setting up a few domains at work today on an NT server. Since this is
mindless work for the most part
>I began to wonder about something. CU ref's and clients are all using port
7640 (or something close to that)
>Why is it that there is no way to change the port that a reflector listens
on?
>What I mean is, you have an FTP or HTTP server, they deafault to port 21
and 80 respectively, but you
>have the option of changing these to whatever you want. What I can't
figure out it is if you could add this
>to a reflector package (Like Eref) would it bomb? Granted you would have a
problem with the clients
>connecting because they all use the default port. Surely using a domain
name, alias or cloaking that pointed
>to the proper port would work though... OR I seem to be leading myself to
believe.
>I am thinking about this because UNIX boxes can run multiple IP's while NT
can not, this would be a good
>solution for hosting multiple reflectors on one machine without having
multiple IP's.
>Sure just use seperate CID's is one way, and you have to ask: how many
people have machines and bandwidth capable of running several reflectors?
>Still- I am curious, would this be something that is just out of the
question, or could it be done?
>Regards,
>-david

You can have multiple IP addresses assigned to ethernet interfaces under
NT, added under advanced under the static ip assignment.

As for listening on other ports, it's possible but causes problems for the
clients, and since you can't do tricks like you can with HTTP get requests
(HOST header) to support "virtual" servers, what would be the point.
However ERef should currently be capable of receiving connections from
source (client) ports other than 7648 (but > 1024), the code is there just
hasn't been tested. The reason for that is to support port translation for
proxies.