Re: Question for Brian, streak, those in the know

frank@phicom.net
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 18:23:36 -0400

At 02:55 PM 7/16/98 -0400, david morel wrote:
>I am setting up a few domains at work today on an NT server. Since this is
mindless work for the most part
>I began to wonder about something. CU ref's and clients are all using port
7640 (or something close to that)
>Why is it that there is no way to change the port that a reflector listens on?
>What I mean is, you have an FTP or HTTP server, they deafault to port 21
and 80 respectively, but you
>have the option of changing these to whatever you want. What I can't figure
out it is if you could add this
>to a reflector package (Like Eref) would it bomb? Granted you would have a
problem with the clients
>connecting because they all use the default port. Surely using a domain
name, alias or cloaking that pointed
>to the proper port would work though... OR I seem to be leading myself to
believe.

Elaborate how you would suggest doing this ?

Take it for granted that the refs can adjust to whatever
circumstance u like
including using different protocols other than UDP
alone(tcp/ip,rtp,rsvp, etc...).
The clients though, must connect on port 7648/7649 for the foreeable
future.
If you could suggest how you would cloak or alias a domain name/IP
so the refs can
switch to a different port.

( sounds like proxy, but has 3 vowels... clock is ticking )

Seriously, can u make real technical and simple suggestions ?

>I am thinking about this because UNIX boxes can run multiple IP's while NT
can not, this would be a good
>solution for hosting multiple reflectors on one machine without having
multiple IP's.
>Sure just use seperate CID's is one way, and you have to ask: how many
people have machines and bandwidth capable of running several reflectors?