RE: Question for Brian, streak, those in the know

david morel (dmorel@stny.lrun.com)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:45:03 -0400

----------
From: frank@phicom.net
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 1998 6:23 PM
To: dmorel@stny.lrun.com
Cc: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Question for Brian, streak, those in the know

At 02:55 PM 7/16/98 -0400, david morel wrote:
>I am setting up a few domains at work today on an NT server. Since this is
mindless work for the most part
>I began to wonder about something. CU ref's and clients are all using port
7640 (or something close to that)
>Why is it that there is no way to change the port that a reflector listens on?
>What I mean is, you have an FTP or HTTP server, they deafault to port 21
and 80 respectively, but you
>have the option of changing these to whatever you want. What I can't figure
out it is if you could add this
>to a reflector package (Like Eref) would it bomb? Granted you would have a
problem with the clients
>connecting because they all use the default port. Surely using a domain
name, alias or cloaking that pointed
>to the proper port would work though... OR I seem to be leading myself to
believe.

Elaborate how you would suggest doing this ?

Take it for granted that the refs can adjust to whatever
circumstance u like
including using different protocols other than UDP
alone(tcp/ip,rtp,rsvp, etc...).
The clients though, must connect on port 7648/7649 for the foreeable
future.

I suppose this is really the crux of the matter, without some way of telling the client to look
for a different port, it wil make no difference what port the server is running on.
It is easy enough to fake a funny port number with domain name, or even something as simple
as the home.org project, but I would get stuck when it comes to telling the client to look for a different port.
There must be some way to invoke a change in the port number that it looks for I would think, but I am
presuming that it would be buried pretty deep in the code. Unlike say an FTP client that has an "advanced"
properties were you could change the port number.

If you could suggest how you would cloak or alias a domain name/IP
so the refs can
switch to a different port.

That is the easy part....
introchem.clt.binghamton.edu is actualy 128.226.131.90:2100

( sounds like proxy, but has 3 vowels... clock is ticking )

Seriously, can u make real technical and simple suggestions ?

I can not when it comes to the client, and I think that this is where I answer my own original question.
It must be doable, but how is with out question beyond my limited programing ability, this is where
I defer to those that have been down and dirty with the stuff....
regards,
-david

>I am thinking about this because UNIX boxes can run multiple IP's while NT
can not, this would be a good
>solution for hosting multiple reflectors on one machine without having
multiple IP's.
>Sure just use seperate CID's is one way, and you have to ask: how many
people have machines and bandwidth capable of running several reflectors?