Re: OverLord (was Re: MPCS? and source code discussion (semi-long))

Thu, 23 Jul 1998 13:48:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Scott Lacroix wrote:
> Actually... no it's not. Because of built-in Java security, it doesn't
> work that way. You see, Java cannot open sockets to arbitrary points on the
> 'Net. It can only talk to the server from which it was run.

I believe you missed Bill's point (or I missed it). What I got out of
what he said was that..in order to use the Java GUI, you can't password
the server. If you don't password the server, the telnet is left wide
open for anyone that has an allow-wpconfig line for their IP. The thing
me (and Bill and quite a few other MPCS folks) have said is to let people
use BOTH the GUI AND the telnet. They should both work independently but
for some reason never have. If you password the telnet, the GUI breaks.
If you don't password the GUI, telnet breaks. Why the dependency?

> I'm not going to get into the techinical details ('cuz SOMEBODY might be
> reading along.... :) but take my word for it: The ONLY IP address you need
> to add to the allow-wpconfig list to make the Java GUI work is the address
> of the server itself.

It's weird...I did do that...then telnetted MPCS and the GUI just stopped
working. It seemed none of the commands would work anymore. Is port 7642
passworded as well somehow?

> Hmmm... I've been meaning to wander over to that website and check out
> Overlord anyway...

Give it a shot...Bill has been working hard on it and is doing a great
job. It's too bad White Pine refuses to pick up some of the cool apps out
there and support them publicly. I know the WP Monitors from Powerscourt
use Refmarshal to police WP's refs...so it must be a pretty good product.
:)

> (Mind you, none of that is meant to be construed as an agreement to allow
> Bill to copy the WhitePine GUI... nor do I speak as a representative of
> anyone but myself... and as everyone knows, I'm certainly not a lawyer...
> did I cover it all? :)
> | #include<disclaimer/std.h>

You forgot to copyright it :) But at least you included the standard
disclaimer. :)