Re: Bandwith use for Enhanced Reflector?

Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:37:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Darwin Weyh wrote:
> We're looking at having a ISP host a ref and we'd like to know what kind of
> bandwidth it will require?

The bandwidth required depends on the number of participants you wish to
support. If you support only 2, then 50-60kbps may be all you need. If
you want to support 100 people, better have a whopper of a system..and a
lot of bandwidth to throw around.

The good news is your can limit each person's sending and receiving limits
to the bandwidth you DO have...as well as how many people are allowed on.
I've seen reflectors eat up anywhere from 50kbps to 2-3Mbps.

> We'll be using the Enhanced Ref because it's the best ;))

It's definitely the best free one :)

> It'll be running on an NT box.

Make sure you tweak the rate-adapt settings since that's usually the cause
of why vids appear to stop on the reflectors I've seen.