Re: OverLord (was Re: MPCS? and source code discussion

Scott Lacroix (slacroix@wpine.com)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:39:57 -0400

At 10:48 AM 7/24/98 -0500, Jason Williams wrote:
>On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Scott Lacroix wrote:
>> Well... what I said (or at least what I MEANT) was that IF you are using
>> the GUI, you don't need to add other addresses to your allow-wpconfig list.
>> If EVERYONE uses the web GUI, no-one needs to be added specifically to the
>> list.
>
>True..same is true for the Refmarshal Proxy Server which works on the same
>basis as the GUI minus the hard to use features. :)
>
>> The only real problem is that they don't mix well right now.
>
>Bingo.. they haven't mixed well ever since the Java GUI popped out and I
>haven't figured out why. Passwording the telnet should have nothing to do
>with the functionality of the GUI. They should be independent.
>Yet..they're not. Perhaps at some point they will be.

Uhm... the Web GUI sends Telnet commands (the server has always been
configured via telnet, how did you THINK the GUI worked? :) so of COURSE
they are co-dependant.

>> Yes, but not subnets. If you NEVER use subnets then the web GUI/RefMarshal
>> combination works really well.
>
>Hmm..I didn't realize the problem in the code had to do with subnets...but
>I do remember back on the Solaris MPCS 3.0 beta about allow-wpconfig not
>working at all...perhaps it's tied into that problem..dunno. I just know
>what I see. :)

What "problem in the code" are you talking about here? Man I hate being
mis-quoted... What I said had NOTHING to do with problems. ( Geeze I spend
alot of time explaining myself when I post here... I'm getting a complex )
What I said was:

>On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Scott Lacroix wrote:
>> Well... what I said (or at least what I MEANT) was that IF you are using
>>the GUI, you don't need to add other addresses to your allow-wpconfig list.

>>If EVERYONE uses the web GUI, no-one needs to be added specifically to the
>>list.
>> That does NOT imply that the functionality of allow-wpconfig has
>>changed...

[...]

>> ... If you NEVER use subnets then the web GUI/RefMarshal
>> combination works really well.

Which was in response to:

At 03:47 AM 7/22/98 -0500, Bill Woodland wrote:
>White Pine's next version (MeetingPoint Conferencing Server 3.0 ) came
>with a java based GUI, and WPMANAGE won't work on that reflector version.
>I happen to hate java (personal reasons) and with the java GUI there's a
>catch: you can't use the java GUI if you put in a telnet password. Without
>a telnet password, you wouldn't want to open up the allow-wpconfig to the
>entire world, so Refmarshal can't be used from my home unless I enter
>allow-wpconfig statements for each class C net that my ISP uses. It can be
>done, but it's a pain.

So basically what it said is: If you don't use subnets, then you don't
have security problems and they work just fine together. I never said
anything about problems/issues about them working together. The allow lists
work JUST FINE with or without subnets, it just a question of what you want
to do with them.
I think we just drifted a little there... sheesh!

>I know you're not a client guy...but I've been cruising the refs the last
>few days. I've stumbled upon some busy White Pine 2.1 reflectors and the
>looping chat from 3.1.1 users is horrendous. I watched it for about a
>half hour. Each time they said something, it added it to the loop and
>started nonstop looping of chat that they've said for the past 20
>minutes..Constantly repeating. Occasionally it would stop, but then it'd
>continue.

Nothing I can do about that one... I'll talk to a few people here, but I
know it's been repoted (mulitple times) and it's on the list to be fixed.
Beyond that...

>> >Yep..I noticed. What determines what gets included as a "CU-Cessory"? A
>> >new dialer in the works (CUnnect98) is pretty cool. :)
>>
>> I have no idea... that's all marketing's decision.
>
>Guess I need to find someone in marketing then...thanks.

Hey no problem! Always happy to give marketing something to do... :)

- Scott

--

,,-==================================-.-==================================-.. | I haven't lost my mind, it's backed | Scott LaCroix (slacroix@wpine.com) | | up on tape around here somewhere... | Sr. Software Engineer ___ | | - Author Unknown | White Pine Software ./_ -\. | | #include<disclaimer/std.h> | http://www.wpine.com q| o O |p | ``-==================================-^-=====================oOOo=~U~=oOOo-''