RE: Cu-SeeMe and the LAN

Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:02:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Brad Burleson wrote:
> Our problem here is that the firewall administrators won't open
> any extra ports due to the security risk. :-/

Yeah...I suppose firewalls are much like barracading a company's employees
behind 10 tons of steel and a dozen padlocks to prevent anyone from the
outside from stealing equipment. It's usually overkill that prevents a
lot from happening. Any open port can be easily flooded.

> From what I understand, when you use the MS Proxy you need to
> use _real_ IP Addresses. This is probably what makes the
> difference (?).

I don't think so.. I believe any IP address works. Afterall, that's the
point of the proxy with private IPs: to not have to have a machine
directly on the internet but still use the internet.