Re: *.CSM file connecting

Phil (chrome@lcol.net)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 03:04:26 -0400

>At 12:28 PM 7/28/98 -0500, Jeff Conrad wrote:
>>I can't get the CUSeeMe 1.0 version to work on the 166 Mhz, but the
0.92beta
>>works okay there. The 1.0 version works fine on the 333. Both versions
of
>>Windows
>>have been configured to recognize *.csm files as a type
"application/x-csm".

I suspect Jeff's 166 machine has multi-user profiles installed on it. This
will create a desktop and other areas which have very long pathnames.
CU-SeeMe won't find the file.

>>Both can
>>launch to an IP in a *.csm file as described under Bill Woodland's 1.0
help
>>pages.
>
>The Cornell .92b2 version doesn't support csm files via the command line
>(or file association). You should still be able to use a host name in the
>IP address field of the phonebook, tho. I used to have video.lbj.com in my
>.92b2 phonebook, and it worked just fine.
>
>Look for HOSTS files in the windows or windows\system directory on both
>machines. You may find that one has an entry for that name and IP, and the
>other one doesn't. Also, if the two machines are using different DNSs, and
>one DNS has the name/IP, and the other one doesn't, then that could be your
>problem. I ran across that at my office recently.
>

>Bill Woodland (Squeek ) PC questions only, please.
>OverLord Reflector Manager at http://topdeals.com/overlord
>Cornell version 1.0 users guide at http://topdeals.com/cu
>Cornell help pages at http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW

I've run across problems trying to connect from a web page using Cornell
1.0, but it does work somewhat.

MS Internet Explorer munges up the filename every time, giving it a name
like scan.11, where the real filename was longer and ended in .cu or .csm.

Cornell 1.0 has a problem loading the files if your system downloads them to
a pathname that's too long, or possibly contains spaces. If the path is DOS
compatible, no problem. If you're using multiple profiles on your machine,
it will be a problem.

Cornell 1.0 can open from a web page, but only once. Once it's run from a
.cu/.csm file as application/x-cuseeme, it's a one-shot. Once CU-SeeMe is
running, it won't open from a file again. It needs to be closed to respond
to a file again.