Re[2]: why macs?

bj.culpepper@pscmail.ps.net
13 Jul 95 04:42:00 -0500

Another important note is that Mac hardware across multiple platforms
tend to be more standardized than P.C. based platforms. Macs tend to
have single software interfaces reguardless of hardware (for instance
Mac/TCP kernel whereas DOS machines had many vendor specific kernels
before they came out with Winsock - which there are vendor specific
versions anyway). It is hard for non-profit organizations to keep up
with this. Remember that PC vendors tend to follow there own rules,
that is why the differences in video cards/audio cards and the way
they communicate to the system varies so much. Summary, Mac's you
can make more generic products whereas PC you must consider a wide
range of specifics.

As far as what company starts with what platform, well if you are a
company (other than graphics) it is only smart to start with P.C.'s
because they have such a large installed base which increases your
chance for profit. A college is NOT a company so do not compare the
two. Ease of integration and cost is always better on a Mac when
dealing with software developement.

FYI, if you remember - Mircrosoft Word and Excel started on the
Macintosh, and for a long time it was better on a Macintosh. Since
then Microsoft has started to abandon the Mac (profit reasons).
Excel is now decent, whereas Word is close to horrible.

Really, and this is not to sound mean, if you paid them hundreds of
thousands of dollars for P.C. research and developement, I think that
the P.C. version would surpass the Mac version. Remember that you
did not pay for what you are using. Therefore there is not much room
to complain. I am an extensive P.C. user (Primary Work) as well as
Mac (Primary Home).

BJ
bj.culpepper@ps.net

P.S. If you still don't think that P.S. are hard to work with
(especially products that use I/O like CUSEEME) look at the 'bugs'
report in Windows95 and see how many problems they are having (such
as one version of a Toshiba P.C. works but cannot do disk
compressions where as the next version down can do disk compression
but has some addressing problems with the PCMCIA card). ....and
Microsoft has money.

At 3:30 PM, 7/12/95, x47red@oasis.novia.net wrote:
>to all:
>
>why is it that cornell is focusing mainly on macs?
>they already have a talk window, audio, and a new
>version is coming out in 2 weeks. whats the deal?
>has anyone heard of a new beta for pc's?

You might as well ask "Why does X company focus mainly on PCs?" I'd
say the Cornell team has the only definitive answer, but some
possibilities are:

1. They started on Macs. Therefore, the Mac version is ahead of the
PC version as far as features, etc., because it has been in
development longer. If you notice, however, Cornell seems to be
working on catching the PC client up with the Mac client.

2. They were making CU-SeeMe for the Mac originally. What I mean is
that a lot of college campuses are primarily Mac-based, so maybe
Cornell started out making CU-SeeMe for testing on their campus.

3. Maybe the team knows the Mac OS better than Windows.

I personally have a Mac and have asked many times why many companies
release PC versions of their software before Mac versions. The truth
is, there are companies out there that release Mac versions before PC
versions also (although in smaller numbers), and each company has
their own reason for doing so. The key is to be happy with what
you've got and with the knowledge that it's not being ignored. They
are working on it. As for a new Mac version coming out in a few
weeks, well, I figure that the since the Mac code is already so far
along, it takes less effort to fix and add things to it than it does
the PC version.

Greg

*
Greg Schwartz schmegs@nwu.edu (preferred)