banning users

Chuck Elliot (C.Elliot@shu.ac.uk)
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 13:31:39 -0400

Michael Sattler wrote:

>Why should this be the case? It seems trivial to provide a mechanism to
>filter specific IP addresses (204.31.246.47) and ranges (204.31.246.{12-48}
>and 204.31.*.47). A killfile is standard in email software, and in
>newsreading software, why shouldn't it be part of videoconferencing?

>Developers: what would it take to provide a simple text-based killfile?

I think you can do this in the reflector config anyway but the point is that
where IP addresses are allocated dynamically by a provider and vary from
session to session, you would not succeed in targetting the rogue user and
may prejudice lots of innocent users. It might be more effective in this case
to contact the provider and get the rogue user dealt with at that access point.
I expect providers have means for tracing IP addresses to user sessions (?).

Chuck Elliot
Sheffield Hallam University UK
tel. 0114 2533124: fax. 0114 2533161
email C.Elliot@shu.ac.uk