re: hang ups

Barry L. Lankford (barryl@hiwaay.net)
Wed, 26 Jul 95 22:54:02 CDT

Fred Salerno <salernof@gate.net> wrote:

>i cannot find this serial driver anywhere, where is it? I check
>ftp.microsoft.com and cant find it there.
>
>On Wed, 26 Jul 1995, Matthew M. Lenz wrote:

Check out the documents at the following two URLs for information on using
high speed modems and on setting up Trumpet WinSock:

http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html
http://www.webcom.com/~llarrow/trouble.html

The first document will tell what drivers are best for high speed and where
to get them. I know Windows for Workgroups' comm driver is much better than
the one that comes with ordinary Windows 3.1, but the advantages of the
WfWG drivers isn't of value unless you have the 16550 serial IC instead of
the 8250 that is common in earlier PCs. Since Mike has an internal modem,
the serial IC in question will be on the modem card, and the user manual for
it (you know, those things we use under the table leg to keep it from
wobbling ;-) should tell which it has. Mike didn't say what processor and
speed he has, but a 486/33 should be able to keep up with 19.2K DTE speed,
which is sufficient for 14.4K modem speed. My 486DX2/66 with an 8250 serial
IC and WfWG 3.11 keeps up with my 14.4K Bocamodem using hardware handshaking
and 19.2K DTE speed. The network statistics show no lost packets and seldom
any errors.

The Trumpet WinSock Troubleshooting Guide from the second URL may be
helpful, although I don't use Trumpet and haven't done anything more than
browse the document.

Mike, when you FTP a long file from a fast FTP site, do you experience hang
ups? The problem with CUSM, which uses UDP transmission, may turn out to
be a problem with your Internet access provider.

Barry L. Lankford email: barryl@HiWAAY.net Amateur Radio: N4MSJ
Madison, Alabama, USA ICBM: 34deg 41min 52.2sec N, 86deg 45min 34.2sec W
I have a new e-mail address, but the old one (barryl@nuance.com) still works