Re: Traffic patterns

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 00:47:35 -0700

At 9:55 7/27/95, Nick Hine wrote:

>We are planning to use CUSeeMe in some remote/distance education
>work in the new academic year. We have done some small trials to check
>bandwidth requirements. What I am interested in is if anyone else has
>already done measurements of bandwidth usage for a lecture or similar
>activity using CUSeeMe over ethernet, 14.4 kbps modems, 28.8 kbps modems or
>ISDN connections (or anything else, perhaps ATM). What I am looking for is
>the total traffic in and out of a CUSeeMe station rather than the reflector
>traffic.

You don't stand a chance of doing any serious, extended interactive
sessions with anything less than ISDN. Modems will only give you a very
jerky video stream (and some barely intelligible audio if you've
accumulated much good karma).

To leave this list send listproc@cornell.edu a message body with the |
command "u*subscribe cu-seeme-l". (Replace the '*' with 'n'; if |
the "un" word had appeared then this message would have automagically |
been filtered to the trash by many people's filtering configuration.) |