Seeking collaborators for online teaching delivery development (fwd)

Bradley Carlson (carlson@freenet.msp.mn.us)
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 11:31:47 -0500

>Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 07:48:36 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Winet <dwinet@ocf.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject: Seeking collaborators for online teaching delivery development

>I need [long list of needs]...

You mention lots of audio encoding methods, and point out some
shortcomings of each (usually that they are limited to one-to-one
conferencing). You also describe that you want to use a format that will
function over a 14.4Kbps modem. While there are a couple of examples of
passable audio at that bandwidth, none leave any room for a video
signal. You're going to have to increase your bandwidth to at least
28.8kbps, or you'll have to choose between audio _or_ video.

There just aren't any audio encodings (even on the rumor-horizon) that
will travel in 7Kbps.

I think your best bet will for the next 6 months will be having a teacher
open a separate CU-SeeMe conference to each student, limited to 28.8bps.
The "realaudio" product holds some promise for the following 6 months, in
that a similar algorithm could provide the audio component to CU-SeeMe and
only use 1/2 of a 28.8kbps connection.

You may be hoping to let each student see every other student, as well as
the instructor. I don't see this becoming a reality over anything slower
than 128kbps ISDN.

>1.The focus should be on PCs with modems
>2.There should be a solution that involves no more than two programs
>which together allow *mult-conferencing* audio, video and whiteboard.
>3.The audio must be clear when both programs are running (28.8 modems do
>this maybe, 14.4s don't consistently)
>4.It must be cheap.
>
>THE SOLUTION:

- PC
- 28.8kbps modem,
- SoundBlaster or other sound card,
- Video Spigot or other video capture card,
- QuickTime Conferencing for Windows
(no, it doesn't exist yet, but I have high hopes).

Of course, with the SoundBlaster and Video Spigot this isn't cheap
(requirement #4). But unless someone starts mass-marketing "A/V" PC's
with the necessary hardware, #4 and #2 are mutually exclusive.

-Bradley Carlson
carlson@FreeNet.MSP.MN.US