Re: Seeking collaborators for online teaching delivery development (fwd)

emile anderson (emanders@nexus.chapman.edu)
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 17:03:35 -0700

You may also consider in lieu of a video capture board the possibility of a
parallel connected QuickCam camera ($100 ?) and an ISDN TA/NT1 device like a
motorola 210A for about 400 dollars (128K bandwidth).

Emile

At 11:31 AM 6/12/95 -0500, Bradley Carlson (by way of wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 07:48:36 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: David Winet <dwinet@ocf.Berkeley.EDU>
>>Subject: Seeking collaborators for online teaching delivery development
>
>>I need [long list of needs]...
>
>You mention lots of audio encoding methods, and point out some
>shortcomings of each (usually that they are limited to one-to-one
>conferencing). You also describe that you want to use a format that will
>function over a 14.4Kbps modem. While there are a couple of examples of
>passable audio at that bandwidth, none leave any room for a video
>signal. You're going to have to increase your bandwidth to at least
>28.8kbps, or you'll have to choose between audio _or_ video.
>
>There just aren't any audio encodings (even on the rumor-horizon) that
>will travel in 7Kbps.
>
>I think your best bet will for the next 6 months will be having a teacher
>open a separate CU-SeeMe conference to each student, limited to 28.8bps.
>The "realaudio" product holds some promise for the following 6 months, in
>that a similar algorithm could provide the audio component to CU-SeeMe and
>only use 1/2 of a 28.8kbps connection.
>
>You may be hoping to let each student see every other student, as well as
>the instructor. I don't see this becoming a reality over anything slower
>than 128kbps ISDN.
>
>>1.The focus should be on PCs with modems
>>2.There should be a solution that involves no more than two programs
>>which together allow *mult-conferencing* audio, video and whiteboard.
>>3.The audio must be clear when both programs are running (28.8 modems do
>>this maybe, 14.4s don't consistently)
>>4.It must be cheap.
>>
>>THE SOLUTION:
>
>- PC
>- 28.8kbps modem,
>- SoundBlaster or other sound card,
>- Video Spigot or other video capture card,
>- QuickTime Conferencing for Windows
> (no, it doesn't exist yet, but I have high hopes).
>
>Of course, with the SoundBlaster and Video Spigot this isn't cheap
>(requirement #4). But unless someone starts mass-marketing "A/V" PC's
>with the necessary hardware, #4 and #2 are mutually exclusive.
>

>-Bradley Carlson
>carlson@FreeNet.MSP.MN.US

LCDR EMILE ANDERSON USN

FCTCPAC San Diego CA