Thanking for wonderful development of CU-SeeMe (fwd)

Tak Utsumi (utsumi@solar.rtd.utk.edu)
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 14:06:35 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 13:58:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tak Utsumi <utsumi@solar.rtd.utk.edu>
To: Holmes Louise <lmh2@cornell.edu>
Cc: Utsumi Takeshi <utsumi@columbia.edu>
Subject: Thanking for wonderful development of CU-SeeMe

<<06/19/95, 8:02 am>>

Dear Louise:

(1) Many thanks for your 6/14th msg.

(2) My replies are in << >>.

Best, Tak

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:38:09 -0500
To: utsumi@solar.rtd.utk.edu
From: lmh2@cornell.edu (Louise Holmes)
Subject: CU-SeeMe uses/users

Hello Mr. Utsumi,

I work with Dick Cogger of the CU-SeeMe Project, and try to write grants,
reports and publicity material for the project.

<<Pls send him my best regards.>>

At the moment, I'm trying to find out a bit more about people who are doing
interesting projects with CU-SeeMe.

Would you be willing to tell me:

1. For your own Global Lecture Hall-- the value of CU-SeeMe now,

<<I often use CU-SeeMe at our almost every mtgs and "Global Lecture
Hall (GLH)" (TM) multipoint-to-multipoint multimedia interactive
videoconferences, so that our colleagues can participate, at least,
partially to send their greetings without any cost nor expensive
studio and dish antenna, etc. -- this will not only foster
"comradeship" among our project members, but also promote the use of
videoconferencing through TCP/IP oriented Internet, and hence their
realization for the need of high-speed Internet line which
subsequently enables them to retrieve other advanced information
around the Internet, e.g., MBONE, multimedia WWW, etc.

Namely, CU-SeeMe is a vehicle, bate or decoy for the people
start using vast amount of the information around the Internet
in global scale with the use of computer capability.

Compared with the need of high-priced, high-powered workstation
for MBONE, CU-SeeMe can use ordinary PCs and Mac at lower-
price, and also less band-width than MBONE on Internet.

Those PCs and Mac can be used for other purposes of
school administration, etc., while they are not using for
videoconferencing -- this is a distinct advantage over
other videoconferencing equipment, e.g., satellite or
PictureTel/VTEL, etc., particularly in under-served areas
and Third World countries where there is no extra funds.

This will also make a drastic change in distance education towards
the "Third Wave," asynchronous, just-in-time, individualized global
electronic distance education, after the "First Wave" of analog
terrestrial/satellite distance education, and the "Second Wave" of
the distance education with the use of PictureTel/VTEL via switched
56/64 Kbps or via digital video compressed satellite - both of which
are to replicate classroom settings where instructor's voice is hard
to hear, his/her hand writing is hard to decipher, almost no
interaction with dull talking head, with expensive overhead for not
only their school buildings, but also for their studio, satellite and
dish antenna, etc.

The First- and Second-Waves followed the conventional one-way,
non-interactive, broadcasting analog TV, which followed
commercial TV which also followed entertainment movies of
Hollywood. The Third Wave can now not only offer advantages of
those aforementioned features, but also can enable students'
"knowledge" transforming into "wisdom" with the uses of virtual
experimentation, application programs and simulation models,
i.e., "experiential learning." With the spread of TCP/IP
oriented Internet around the world (for which I have devoted my
last two decades -- see below), this can also be "collaborative
experiential learning" with colleagues in various countries.
Such collaboration further ensure the comradeship among
colleagues, hence world peace-keeping. Senator Fulbright once
said that you cannot wage war against your friends!!>>

<<With this regard, I am waiting Dick's development for the
capability of such "collaborative experiential learning." His
current accomplishment with "side window" capability is one
step towards to it, and I would like to congratulate him for
his accomplishment.>>

<<This direction will enable me to realize my long-standing
dream of establishing a Globally Collaborative Environment
Peace Gaming with the use of globally distributed computer
simulation system through Global Neural Computer Network (TM).

To this end, I have worked on;

(a) extension of Internet (then ARPANET and/or Telenet, etc.)
to overseas countries, staring from Japan, enabling Japanese to
retrieve various databases (e.g., MEADS, CHEMAB, etc.), -- but,
realized that it was not enough without email,

(b) de-regualtion of Japanese telecom policies for the use of
email and computer mediated conferencing system which led de-
monopolization and privatization of telecom industry in Japan,
which has been emulated in many other countries, -- but,
realized that text-oriented ASCII email is not enough since a
picture is worth more than thoudands words,

(c) conducted many "Global Lecture Hall (GLH)" multipoint-to-
multipoint multimedia interactive videoconferences with the
First- and Second-Wave approaches, -- but, realized that analog
TV monitor does not have fidelity of computer screen,

(d) along these lines, we have built up a vast networks of
people in various countries who are eager to establish Global
(electronic) University -- but, realized that the electronic
distance education courses we will offer have to be affordable,
and then fortunately met with the advent of inexpensive desktop
videoconferencing systems, e.g., ShareView via Plain Old
Telephone Services (POTS) and CU-SeeMe (and later MBONE) via
Internet -- these GU in various countries, I hope, to provide
game plaers of,

(e) GlobalCollaborative Environment Peace Gaming with
globally distributed computer simulation systems through global
neural computer network -- which defitely requires computer-
mediated multimedia capabilities, rather than mere videoconfer-
encing.>>

<<On the other hand, Doug Karl's (Ohio State University) 2 Mbps
wireless telecom technology is amazing and wonderful. Its high
resolution, one-to-one CU-SeeMe connection can almost achieve lip
synchronization at instantaneous speed of 30 fps and 450 Kbps (albeit
average 15 fps and 125 Kbps)!! This can be used with 100 watt
transceivers to reach 50 mile range, if there is no interfering
frequencies around 900 Mhz which is the most cases in various
overseas developing countries.>>

<<To me, the CU-SeeMe capability with, at least, 64 Kbps at every
schools is the watershed of Information Highway around the world --
this may be extended to every students' locations later around the
world!! This is the direction we are working for now.>>

<<Trouble with CU-SeeMe is, however, that it has to go through TCP/IP
oriented Internet.

Many Third World countries are with (a) no or good analog voice grade
telephone networks, and hence no good TCP/IP oriented Internet (*),
(b) subsequently, no realization for the use of electronic distance
education, albeit its economical advantage to them.

(*) Currently, although over 150 countries has email
capability, about half of them are mostly only with store-and-
forward scheme (e.g., uucp, etc.) at only 19.2 Kbps. The other
half can have TCP/IP oriented Internet, but often with only 64
Kbps on their trunk lines.

Therefore, our current GU (Global University)/CAADE (Consortium for
the Advancement for the Affordable Distance Education) projects are
to firstly connect ShareView computer-mediated multimedia system
(CMMS) between the U.S. and overseas countries via analog INMARSAT or
via analog sub-channel of INTELSAT, in order to stimulate educators
and decision-makers in the Third World countries in electronic
distance education. Once accomplished, this connection can then be
changed to interconnect with Internet for CU-SeeMe videoconferencing,
etc.>>

over the last year,

<<We used CU-SeeMe since our GLH in the summer of 1993. At that
time, our Moscow colleague could receive our CU-SeeMe video (*), but
could not send theirs to us. Our Australian colleague worked out
with Dick Cogger so that they could participate with their PAL
system, instead of NTSC system of the U.S. Their video was better
than Dick's.

(*) At a later time, we did a mini CU-SeeMe videoconference
among Moscow, UK, Mexico, North Carolina, etc. Moscow
colleague accomplished to send us their video with 28.8 Kbps
modem -- MAVEN audio conference did not work, so that our UK
colleague connected with Moscow via ordinary long distance
telephone line, and relayed into MAVEN. Incidentally, MAVEN is
another wonderful feature as saving considerable overseas
telephone costs -- good for K-12 people.

In addition of our use of CU-SeeMe at our GLH in the fall of 1993
(where Yvonne Andres and her students presented their project and Dr.
Stephen S Wolff, Director of the Division of Networking &
Communications Research & Infrastructure of NSF made a brief remark),
our GLH in the summer of 1994 had colleagues from Australia, Costa
Rica, U.K., and Dick, etc. At this occasion, many overseas
colleagues started using CU-SeeMe, e.g., Latvia (*), Poland,
Dartmouth College, the World Bank, etc., etc. Many of our colleagues
helped each other to set up their CU-SeeMe with the use of powerful
email around the world -- I was really busy introducing them each
other. Our Polish colleague used MS/DOS version, thus could not hear
through MAVEN, but they were astonished to view our Australian
colleague at their Warsaw office with high-ranking officers of their
government and major universities. Our Italian colleague received
very clear video -- even of analog video transmitted through
Internet. A NASA/Houston successfully received our CU-SeeMe session
through their MBONE, too.

(*) After this, Latvian colleague started retrieving NASA
news-video almost every day -- see TIME magazine below.>>

and in the future?

<<(a)
Our GU/CAADE's ftf discussion mtg on "Toward Global Electronic
Distance Education" in Washington, D.C. on 7/10-11/95 will have a
demo of CU-SeeMe with Doug Karl's 2 Mbps wireless telecom unit for
the aforementioned high resolution, one-to-one connection.

(b)
We will have our "Global Lecture Hall (GLH)" videoconference in
October. This event will be held at the occasion of the VIth
International Conference on Distance Education at the Universidad
Estatal a Distancia in San Jose, Costa Rica.

I plan to have George Brett's (CNIDR) presentation on his Global
SchoolHouse project through CU-SeeMe during our GLH in October -- see
its outline in ATTACHMENT I below.

We also have a plan for a GLH for Hungary/Fulbright Commission to
celebrate the 50th's anniversary of Fulbright exchange program and
the 1200th anniversary of Hungary in August of 1996, which will range
from Japan, the Pacific rim countries, North and South America,
entire Europe, Africa, East Europe and Russia, etc.

Our colleague and I are contemplating to devise an European Union
Negotiation Gaming for her teaching on international affairs in
Budapest with the use of WWW and CU-SeeMe.>>

<<I will here repeat the necessity of "collaborative experiential
learning" capability to be attached to CU-SeeMe at Dick's earliest
possible time. Dick has many things to do, and I wish him a very
good luck. Just tell him that the importance of electronic distance
education is (1) voice (need to have better than the current MAVEN,
though rapidly improving), (2) side window, freeze-frame image, and
then whiteboard capabilities, and lastly (3) video quality --
students don't concern much about the video quality, since, after
all, they are learning subject matters.>>

2. What you know about who and how the World Bank are interested in using
CU-SeeMe?

<<Following person is now avid user of CU-SeeMe;

Dr. Peter T. Knight (Fax: 202-522-3202)
Chief
Pilot Electronic Media Center
The World Bank
701 18th Street, J4-029
Washington, DC 20433
202-473-6313
pknight@worldbank.org

When I visited him a few months ago, he immediately called up
Dick Cogger with his Mac/AV on CU-SeeMe, and we could talk each
other with very clear MAVEN voice.

He and following person started using CU-SeeMe at the occasion of our
GLH on 7/7/94;

Dr. Harold C. Lyon (FAX: 603-650-4845)
C. Everett Koop Scholar
C. Everett Koop Institute and Departments of Pathology,
and Community & Family Medicine
Assistant Professor
Medical Information System
Dartmouth Medical School
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH 03756
Harold.C.Lyon@Dartmouth.edu

As you may know, their CU-SeeMe windows appeared in TIME, October,
1994, Page 24 -- including former Surgeon General, Dr. Koop, too.

Hal is now setting up, with Koop's support, a movable van with CU-
SeeMe units which may be used among Bosnia's refugees and war
victims, as connecting it with medical centers in Europe via
satellite.>>

3. In a recent mailfile (6/13/95) you mention that Professor Jose Brenes of
the University of Costa Rica is setting up the use of CU-SeeMe for their
nurse training. Could you tell me a bit more about his plan, or send me his
email address so I might speak with him directly?

<<His address is;

Prof. Jose Brenes Andre
President of Consta Rica Fulbright Association
Physics Professor
Escuela de Fisica
Universidad de Costa Rica
Apartado 418-20270
Sabanilla, Costa Rica
San Jose, San Jose
COSTA RICA
506-253-5323 x5394
jbrenes@cariari.ucr.ac.cr

He has a couple of Mac/AV/6100 to do his nurse training with CU-
SeeMe. According to his recent msg, PanAmerican Health Organization
may also install a couple of Doug Karl's 2 Mbps wireless telecom
units for medical use. I also suggested Brenes that he may set up a
reflector in his computer (as our Russian colleague, Aleksey K.
Skuratov in Moscow, is now doing) so that they can do a local CU-
SeeMe with it -- particularly with the 2 Mbps wireless units. I also
suggested the same to our African colleagues.>>

4. Any other innovative uses of CU-SeeMe you've seen or heard of over the
last few months.

<<You may hear about the K-12 teacher training with the use of CU-
SeeMe in the U.K. from;

Prof. Marc Eisenstadt (Fax: +44 908 65-3169)
Head of the Human Cognition Research Laboratory
The Open University
Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
United Kingdom
+44 908 65-3149
M.Eisenstadt@open.ac.uk>>

<<We owe a lot to Dick Cogger's and his colleagues' wonderful
development. I tried to repay their favor with rather long
description above -- pls forgive me, since I have been so excited
with their development and its future consequences for the world
peace keeping.>>

Many, many thanks, Mr. Utsumi. I will be out of town until Friday
afternoon, but do look forward to hearing more about your exciting
projects.

<<Sorry for my delay.>>

<<Pls convey our heartfelt thanks to Dick and his group, and pls feel
free to contact me if you have any further questions.>>

-Louise Holmes

************
Louise M. Holmes
CU-SeeMe Project Consultant
Cornell Information Technologies
PH: 607-255-5993
FAX:607-255-9086

<<Keep in touch.>>

<<Best, Tak>>
ATTACHMENT I

Outline of our GLH in October

(1) The current list of dignitaries who will provide us with their
greetings are (in random order);

(a) Mr. Colin Power, Assistant to Director General for Education or
Dr. Frederico Mayor, Director General of UNESCO from
UNESCO/Paris headquarters -- confirmed,

(b) Dr. Tapio Varis of the University of Art & Design from Telecom
Finland in Helsinki -- confirmed,
(Former Rector of the U.N. University for Peace in Costa Rica
and Executive Advisor of GLOSAS/USA)

(c) Dr. Armando Vargas Araya from INMARSAT/London Headquarters --
confirmed,
(Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean of
INMARSAT, former Minister of Communication of Costa Rica,
former Secretary General of Ulcra (KLa.Am radio/tv
organization))

(d) Dr. Alex Shure from Florida -- confirmed,
(former Chancellor of a consortium which created Nova
Southeastern University)

(e) President of the Universidad Estatal a Distancia from San Jose,
Costa Rica,

(f) Secretary of Science and Technology of Costa Rica from San
Jose, Costa Rica,

(g) President of the Academy of Science of Costa Rica from San
Jose, Costa Rica,

(h) President of Ohio University from Athen, OH (not confirmed
yet).

UNESCO/Paris' participation will assure us to obtain the endorsement
of the Security Council of the United Nations in New York City and
hence the free INTELSAT satellite channels which will enable us to
send signal of our GLH to North and South America, entire Europe,
Africa, Scandinavia, Baltic, and Russia, etc.

We also have an offer of free INMARSAT satellite segment from Dr.
Vargas in order to connect ShareView units at Ohio University (our
videoconference center) and the Costa Rica conference sites with
direct dish-to-dish approach.

Dr. Tapio Varis is now organizing a public seminar on the U.N./UNESCO
in Helsinki in cooperation with Telecom Finland, so that the seminar
and his greetings will be connected with our GLH.

CREAD (the Inter-American Distance Education Consortium) will have a
ftf mtg at Penn State University in the same week of the Costa Rica
conference, and we are figuring out how to have interactive
conversations between the both conferences.

(2) The list of possible technologies (tentative list in random order) to
be demonstrated during GLH in october is;

(a) CU-SeeMe with wireless telecom at 2 Mbps, including MAVEN audio
conference and side window via Internet,

(b) dish-to-dish connection(s) of ShareView via INMARSAT in
two-way, interactive mode between Ohio University and Costa
Rica conference site, and if possible, in addition of another
connection between INMARSAT/London Headquarters and Ohio
University which is to be relayed to Costa Rica,

(c) experiential learning by virtual laboratories and simulation
models with MBONE via Internet in distributed mode,

(d) NASA/Advanced Communication Technology Satellite (ACTS),

(e) direct digital broadcasting satellite (DDBS), e.g., DirecPC of
Hughes Communications, etc.,

(f) FORUM computer-mediated multimedia conferencing system (CMMCS)
via Internet,

(g) World Wide Web via Internet,

(h) presentations with PictureTel/VTEL/WorldVision via switched
56/64 Kbps and/or ISDN,

(i) one-way, one-to-many broadcasting of ShareView via analog
subchannel of WORLDNET (a worldwide satellite coverage with the
use of INTELSAT leased transponder) of the U.S. Information
Agency (USIA).

* Takeshi Utsumi, Ph.D. *
* Laureate of Lord Perry Award for Excellence in Distance Education *
* Founder of CAADE *
* (Consortium for the Advancement of Affordable Distance Education) *
* President, Global University in the U.S.A. (GU/USA) *
* A Divisional Activity of GLOSAS/USA *
* (GLObal Systems Analysis and Simulation Association in the U.S.A.) *
* 43-23 Colden Street, Flushing, NY 11355-3998, U.S.A. *
* Tel: 718-939-0928; Fax: 718-939-0656 (day time only--prefer email) *
* INTERNET: utsumi@columbia.edu; Tax Exempt ID: 11-2999676 *