Re: At&T video

C. Duncan Hudson (dhudson@ibm.net)
Sun, 25 Jun 95 22:03:22 edt

On Sun, 25 Jun 95 17:04:06 -0700 you wrote:

>Kerry,
>
>I too, recently saw and participated in a working demo of the AT&T video
>system (not on the phone, but on a computer) - it is called the Vistium. It
>is even beter than the phone thing, however it requires an ISDN line (I
>suspect that the AT&T video phone does too. With ISDN you get a much higher
>quality connection.
>
>If you're interested in knoong more on the AT&T phones and/or video system
>for computers you can call AT&T at 1800-VID-EOGO (that's AT&Ts video
>technical center. I am NOT an employee of AT&T, so there is NO personal gain
>for me in giving you this information.
>
>-Art

While Vistium and Picasso require some heavy duty hardware the video
phone only requires compatible phones at both ends of the call. The
phone transmits a 15 fps colour picture along with regular telephone
voice. The phone was not an initial hot item - people complained
about the slow picture updating, but it sure puts CU-SeeMe to shame.
I hadn't thought to compare it to this software, but the comparison is
quite logical. While not being an expert on either system I would
imagine the faster (and colour) picture is due, in part, to hardware
based compression.

C. Duncan Hudson
Information Management Member
AT&T CCS, CIO/CTO