Re: CUSeeMe Web app for the Mac

Robert L. Ehresman Jr. (bob@hsvaic.hv.boeing.com)
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 07:48:21 -0500 (CDT)

Folks:

It is this simple:

1) Modify CUSeeMe to save and open a file containing an IP address and a
conference ID. This would be similar to the save sets that NCSA Telnet
does.

2) Add apple events to CUSeeMe so that another program (such as a
browser) can launch and command open.

3) Put the save set files on a web server with an appropriate mime type:
application/x-cuseeme .csm and configure the browser similarly.

There is already a precedent in an app for Windows that kludges a similar
solution called "Go CU-Seeme Go".

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, martin stoufer wrote:

> >Has anybody developed a MAC program that launches Cu-SeeMe from a web page?
> >
> >If not, is this something that anybody on this list could/would create?
> >

> >I do not have the programming skills to do this, but it seems to me that it
> >would be a great contribution to the CU-SeeMe community.
>
> A neat idear there Ed. It would require either CU being launched as
> an external viewer for some MIME type media being sent over, or to be
> started via an apple script. The problem is that all HTTP daemon servers
> cannot support a continual pipe of data as a file transfer.
> Sincea web browser and CU can run concurrently on the MAC, it may be
> possible for some server script to send back a command to the mac client
> causing an agreed upon apple script to run, causing CU to launch. This or
> another script would then run some simple app. commands and instruct CU to
> login to a passed thru reflector site. At this time the browser would fall
> into the background, and CU would run. I believe this technology is still on
> the drawing boards at Netscape for their server. If anyone has other
> suggestions, lets here them, this is something we con do!
> *******************
> * marty@nbn.com *
> * Martin C. Stoufer *
> * Born to Binary *

Bob

-Robert L. Ehresman Jr. Engineer  Boeing Missiles & Space Division Computing-
-SMTP:bob@hsvaic.hv.boeing.com       Desk:Building 4820 Room 22d818 Cube 246-
-Voice:(205) 461-2942        FAX:(205) 461-2286        Pager: (205) 535-3845-
-Paper: The Boeing Company M/S JN-55  Box 240002  Huntsville, AL 35824-6402 -
_                        Ad Astra Per Ardua                                 -