Re: CUSeeMe Web app for the Mac

Dick Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 06:59:28 -0400

At 10:14 PM 6/28/95, David R McGee wrote:
>I know that I am going to receive replies about my last posting, so just to
>clarify.
>
>I know that Cornell has no customers, or at least I am not one of them.
>I know that WPSI has yet no customers for CU-SeeMe.
>
>However, the point is that WPSI will soon have customers and should render
>along with Cornell, at the very least, a response to valid queries or pointers
>to where information can be obtained, rather than complain about whiners on the
>net (there are I would agree too many of these). Just suggesting a more
>customer-oriented approach.

Right, here comes another reply: I wish we had the funding at Cornell to
provide a lot more support of all types, but the only place we could find
the person-power as things now stand is from development resources. (Of
course, if you or anyone would like to contribute, please join the CU-SeeMe
Consortium; we will use some of the funds we get there for a modest level
of support activity; or at least we will if the consortium members think
it's important.)

Also, we do try to answer questions posed to the list (a) when we know the
answer and (b) the first time it is asked (and it's not covered in the
readme) or (c) if volunteer question answerers on the list answer
incorrectly. (We have also been trying to find a way through the Cornell
bureaucracy to hire someone to maintain a faq in better shape.) An example
of when we don't know the answer might be when someone asks why, on such
and such a Performa with this and that config, xyz doesn't work; of all the
models and variations of Mac's and PC's, we have only a limited number, so
we have to hope that list readers can help. An example of a common
question answered in the readme is "How come xyz digitizer for the Mac
doesn't seem to work?"

And yes, one of the real incentives for issueing the Master License to WP
was so that there would, in time, be commercially enhanced and supported
versions available for those who prefer to avoid the traditional
tribulations of freeware.

Also, there is generally fairly uneven coverage in responding from Cornell
to the list, since it something of a volunteer activity. If one of the
team happens to be interested and wants to spend the time then you may get
an answer (like Larry Chace on attaching a Quickcam to a PC, late last
night, or me awake unusually early this morning).

> I tend to agree, the problemsounds simple enough yet they are both
>biding their time so when it is released, there will be few problems in an
>application that really works. BTW, since I'm not really software business
>inclined yet, how would WPSI and Cornell share the distribution of such a
>legitimate piece of software? And is this app. WPSI's main focus on software
>development? This seems to be a reaccuring problem when stuff is still in
>beta. To many questions, unkonwn answers, and not enough people to answer
>them.
> I've seen mentioning of a commercial and a freeware/shareware
>split. Are we looking at WPSI buying rights and then developing a must more
>robust version designed with more "m-bone" like features, and Cornell to
>just completley debug what we have now?
>*******************
>* marty@nbn.com *
>* Martin C. Stoufer *
>* Born to Binary *

I'll let folks at White Pine answer about their plans, or check out their
web pages. At Cornell, we will continue to develop and distribute a
freeware version, and the new developments will also go forward to WP.
Part of our agreement is that we will maintain interoperability between the
freeware and commercial versions, at least for the core AV functionality.

A major medium term objective for us is to get the AuxData, SlideWindow,
PlugIn Interface, Talk Window all ported to Windows. We're also looking at
improvements to SlideWindow, more plug-ins, launch-docs for web support.

In the shorter run, we plan a new release of Mac and Reflector within a few
days, as a alpha, followed by beta in a couple weeks, with a first
version of new bandwidth management code which will be supported by the new
reflector. The major functional improvement will be customizing the output
from the reflector to each participant, not sending more than the network
path to that participant can support and giving priority to audio. Last
week, we released a beta (in pre-beta condition) for Windows with audio
receive. We expect further releases later in July: for the Mac with a new
participants list, improved audio control panel, and working QuickCam
audio; for Windows with audio send and similar audio control panel and
participant list.

Somewhere about the end of the summer or into the fall, we should have an
8Kbps audio codec, so fair two-party operation at 28.8 should then be
possible.

Perhaps toward the end of the year, we're looking to get into multicast
support, depending (for the Mac) on how soon OpenTransport is deployed and
is stable.

Cheers, -Dick

-Dick