Re: CU audio problems... connecting thru a reflector?

James Crittenden (jamesc3@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 07:01:22 -0700

At 07:47 PM 6/3/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Luis,
>
>I don't think that a 1:1 videoconference can generally be improved by having
>it pass through a reflector. It would seem that the 'law of conservation of
>energy' would prevent this. :) That is, why have a packet go to a reflector,
>be manipulated, and then sent on to its intended receiver, when that same
>packet could be sent directly to its target?
>
>I believe that the CU client has enough "smarts" to deal with mismatches of
>transmission speeds (assuming that the transmission and reception rates are
>set appropriately at both ends, a big assumption indeed!)
>
>The real problem is with CU audio. While it uses the same Internet protocol
>(UDP) as most other audio products, it is generally quite poor and
>unreliable. While all products are subject to lost packets, CU seems to be
>even more prone to lose packets than other (audio-only) products (such as
>Internet Phone (for reasons that I do not fully understand since CU's
>"codecs" are reputedly to be state-of-the-art also).
>
>In fact there are times when I use ECU and IP together. One for video, and
>the other for audio.
>
>In summary, I don't believe that "connecting through a reflector will solve
>most of your problems" unfortunately.
>
>Regards,
>Dennis
>

>At 02:16 PM 6/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>When you connect to a reflector, the reflector does more than just bounce
>the signal to other multiple sites. A reflector also handles packets and
>assembles them TOGETHER without losing them, or at least as many as are lost
>with direct connections. If you both connect through a reflector, you will
>solve most of your problems
>>
>>----------

Based on my observation and using the product now for two months it appears
that the only way to get good audio w/great video is use the Internet Phone
w/ECUSM at the same time. Once logged on to the IP address of your choice
and having connect w/the person w/the IPHONE disconnect from the phone
server. You should be able to stay connected with the person and see them
w/CUSM at the same time. When recding audio you should freeze your window
so that you can hear clearly the party on the other end.

This system is actually the best alternative if you are having audio
problems on one to one connections. It works and you should be able to talk
w/anyone anywhere for as long as you want. I have had conversations for two
to three hours at a time. Iphone in my opinion is the best phone product
for the internet and the ECUSM is the best for quality visual w/one on one
connections. I hope in the near future they can solve the problem
w/bandwith and the speed so that sound and visual is clear as day.

James