Re: Internet Phone version 4

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Thu, 06 Jun 1996 23:57:25 -0700

At 08:53 PM 6/6/96 -0500, Bill Woodland wrote:
>>Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:08:17 -0400
>>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>>From: Howard Herman <hlh@panix.com>
>>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>>Subject: Re: Internet Phone version 4
>>
>>At 08:47 AM 6/5/96 -0700, strev@mobius.net wrote:
>>>Wednesday morning
>>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I thought you might like to know that there is a beta version of Internet
>>>Phone version 4 available for download.
>>>
>>>The reasons I call this to your attention are:
>>
>>ha!
>>
>>According to the specs this demonstration version expires (stops running)
>>after June 7th, 1996. That does not give much time to see what it is like....
>>________________________________________________
>>

>It's also only for Windows 95 users....give them some time and they'll get
>it to work for the Macintosh as well, but I agree that this demo is short
>lived. If Dennis had known this on June the first, I'm sure he would have
>told us then, so we could use the entire 7 days to test it out. I'm just
>glad he told us so I could see it for a day or two.
>
>$45 bucks is a pretty good deal, tho, for a solution to the CU-SeeMe audio
>problem :)
>
>Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
>Squeek on Undernet IRC
>Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe
>PC only, no MAC questions, please.
>http://www.realtime.com/~wcw/

Hi Bill and Howard,

A few points:

1) Vocaltec is planning regular beta's at seven day intervals. In fact the
most recent beta now on the web (www.vocaltec.com/iphone4/) expires June 12.
I think this is a good way to handle beta's.

2) CompuServe has been running a special on IPhone for some time at $19.95.

3) The combination of IP and CU does seem to be the best solution for audio
and video that I've come across thus far. In fact, I have also taken a
liking to the IP4 white-board which is quite easy and rather pleasant to use.

Best regards,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net