RE: PERFORMANCE OF ECU & CQCW

David I. Sommers, Ph.D. (davids@dcez.com)
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:01:37 -0400

Dennis,

Thanks for the info. The Casio digital camera refreshes at 7 fps and has
much less processing muscle than a PC. Hmm... I am surely not saying this
well but am just wondering where the bottleneck is. Do you think it's all
in the CPU?

David Sommers

----------
From: Dennis J. Streveler[SMTP:strev@mobius.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 1996 6:21 PM
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: PERFORMANCE OF ECU & CQCW

Sunday afternoon

After a few days experimentation with the new Color QuickCam (for Windows)
and ECU, I am struck by the enormous performance hit which I have
experienced since switching to the CQCW.

With a Pentium-150 32MB machine, when ECU is running (with the CQCW
attached), it is nearly impossible to get any performance from any other
application which might be running simulatenously.

Thus my old combination of simultaenously running ECU (for video) and
IPhone
(for audio) is no longer a possibility on this machine.

So, my suggestions:

1) If you are planning to buy the color quickcam, expect that you will be
able to run only ONE application if the camera is active.

2) Don't even THINK of trying to run a color quickcam on anything else
than,
say, a Pentium-90.

Regards,
Dennis