CU/ECU staying current

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:38:46 -0700

At 02:04 PM 6/12/96 +0000, Jonathan Day wrote:
>Adam S. Goldstein wrote:
>> Well, how bold of you Paul to decide that people should pay for something
>> that you had the opportunity to examine for free. There are going to be a
>> lot of people acquiring quickcams and other cams in the near future to try
>> out the videoconferencing technology on the net, and the beta Cornell
>> CUSee-Me makes trying it for free a possibility.
>
>More importantly, how many people here /WANT/ the enhanced version? Lund Uni
>broadcasts in B/W, as do NASA. Those with B/W Quickcams have no obvious need
>to buy a program that transmits in colour. Why pay $60 (or the local equiv)
>for enhancements you'll never use? It'd be like buying a Juggernaught to do
>the shopping, or renting the Space Shuttle to cross the Atlantic.
>
>I like the enhanced version, but there is not a /single/ use I can put it to
>that I could not use the Cornell version for, just as well. If, as seems
>likely, videoconferencing is used in distance-learning, how mnay students
>are courses going to lose if they have to pay extra costs like that? The
>costs are small, sure, but you'll still lose out.

Hello Adam and Jonathan and all,

Gosh, as much as I have trashed Cornell, and White Pine, on occasion, I must
take firm disagreement with your approach. Of course, one _could_ still use
WordStar for word processing and VisiCalc as your spreadsheet (as some
actually still do) but with this approach you seriously degrade your ability
to exploit today's technologies.

I often write about falling "into a pit" with an attitude such as yours,
just to wake up a few years down the road and find that much of the
technological world has passed you by.

In my opinion, if you want to play in this technological world of ours, you
must stay current to the extent possible. That means using current processor
chips, current operating systems, and, yes, current versions of applications.

That is not to say that you must jump on the bandwagon immediately. Oh no,
try to avoid the "bleeding edge" as much as possible. (I wish I had followed
my own advice regarding the CQCW!)

But if you want companies to develop software for you, a few bucks is a
small price to pay for their use. If everybody had your attitude, the
software industry would shrivel and die. There would be no incentive to
offer new features and new capabilities.

In our case, and the reason I am active here on this LIST, is that CU
presented a whole new opportunity for glimsing at the world. Prior to it,
videoconferencing systems cost many THOUSANDS of dollars. Now it costs $60!
With that kind of change in economics be sure that this technology will
revolutionize many facets of our lives down the road. Don't you want to
remain a part of that?

Just some thoughts,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645