Re: White Pine ad... Net Guide mag, 7/96 p.106

Adrian Close (adrian@tracker.com.au)
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:59:31 +1000 (EST)

Hi Dennis,

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Dennis J. Streveler wrote:

> I've noticed the ad which White Pine has used to promote CUSeeMe.

Where was that? I guess I'm unlikely to see it in Australia...

> 2) Second, the copy of the add says "it runs over 28.8 modem (14.4 for audio
> only)..." I think this is inaccurate. I cannot get sustained audio at
> ISDN-128k much less at 14.4k using ECU. There are still serious problems
> with the audio in ECU.

I've had quite reasonable audio running over 28.8k, using the lowest
quality codec available in the Cornell version (16kbps or something). I
was running this between two machines at home, connecting to either Kent
State or Carnegie Mellon. No-one else was connected at the time and I
was running audio only. Audio really was quite good - unbroken and clear
with no dropouts. Now, as soon as someone else connected to the ref I
started having problems... Hmmm....

> video tool, and regrettably has unusable audio at this time.

Above comments aside, I agree - video + audio over 28.8k is just not
feasible. I have a strong feeling that audio codecs could be improved
out of sight... Maybe the Voxware 2.4kbps works OK, but I haven't been
able to get it working over a reflector. Anyone?

Adrian Close email: adrian@tracker.com.au
Network Adminstrator/Intl. Support phone: +61 3 9853 3288
Tracker Software Australia fax: +61 3 9853 9264
http://www.tracker.com.au