Re: White Pine ad... Net Guide mag, 7/96 p.106

Rick Collins (rcollins@mirror.det.mun.ca)
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 22:44:05 -0230

I've suffered none of the problems you seem to have. I've been with
this list and this software for 2 years. Yes, it was a struggle to get
solid video and audio out of this program during development. What you
don't seem to realize is that under the right conditions and with the
correct configurations it works very well. The latest offerings from
White Pine can do all that the ad claims. I've had good color on
multiple pictures without pixel painting. I've had solid audio on
28,800 modems. Because the user base seems to be 14,400 modems crowding
overcrowded reflectors you may not get to enjoy it to the full extent.
We use it inhouse for genuine broadcasting in both color and the larger
format black and white MAC output. The audio is good but, ironically
enough, the White Pine 8.5k codec is far superior in quality to the
"raw" type 32k streams that are popular with the Cornell version.

I bought the program. Weird what? I use it as a functional teaching
tool that is mostly one-to-one or one-to-many. Try it on a LAN and
you'll see that it works very well. Try a single stream on a 28,800
modem (baud set at 115,200) and you will get regular pictures and good
audio.

Once we get the enhanced MAC version up full time (we're buying that one
too) on our White Pine Reflector (prism.det.mun.ca) I will run the
satellite feed from NASA (now in B/W) in color and 8.5 audio. Have a
look and suprise yourself.