Re:Expected performance:PC to Mac Point to Point Connection?

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 23:31:14 -0500

>Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:34:28
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: DRaedy@gnn.com (david raedy)
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Expected performance:PC to Mac Point to Point Connection?
>
> Before I buy a quickcam and the software, could anyone comment on
>whether the following configurations would result in some sort of
>reasonably acceptable performance in a point to point connection?
>
>Pentium 83 Mhz Overdrive PowerMac 6100/66
>Windows 3.1 System 7.5
>8 megs RAM -->connecting to--> 16 Megs
>B/W Quickcam B/W Quickcam
>28.8 dial up connection 28.8 dial up connection
>Running ECU, and Running ECU, and
>Using IPhone for audio Using IPhone for audio
>
> I understand that a whole range of factors can affect
>performance, but would this configuration generally yield, say,
>better than 3fps along with full duplex audio for an extended
>period of time, or am I dreaming?
>
> I investigated most of the web pages listed in Squeek's FAQ
>without success; I hope this isn't addressed somewhere else.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>Dave Raedy DRaedy@gnn.com

Ahhh...another satisfied customer...NOT! Sorry that this info isn't there,
but I'll add it as soon as I have the time.

A: you're dreaming. Unless you aren't moving around very much, I doubt that
you will get 3fps, and at 28.8 you definitely won't be able to do sustained
full-duplex audio, at least with CU-SeeMe audio, and especially if you have
video being transmitted, too.

Re Iphone for the audio: I'll defer that part to Dennis, since I haven't
actually tried the combination of CU and Iphone yet.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe
PC only, no MAC questions, please.