Re: IP address question

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 11:49:00 -0500

Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 09:42:10 -0500
To: bucksaw@wilmington.net
From: Bill Woodland <wcw@bga.com>
Subject: Re: IP address question

At 07:04 PM 6/15/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm trying to get CuSeeMe working. So far, I get 'No Response' from
>EVERY reflector site I've tried (~30 of the reflist.txt). I'm using
>Netscape Navigator 2.0 to access a local Internet provider. My IP
>address is dynamic...different every time I dial in. Is that the problem
>if I am trying to receive only? I read something in one of the FAQ
>sections (I've read them all before asking for help!) about creating a
>'hosts' file. Wasn't sure if it would help. Tried it. Didn't help, but
>I'm not sure I put it in the right place. I put it in the Netscape
>directory where the winsock.dll file is located. Any ideas? I've spent
>a lot of time trying to make this work and would GREATLY appreciate any
>help.
>
>Thanks
>Mitch

OK, let me try to clear some things up for you. The way you tell it, when
you start netscape, your computer dials into your provider. This probably
means that you use trumpet to do the actual dialing, and you are using
windows 3.1. Is this correct?

Yes, your ip is dynamic, if it changes each time. No, receive only
shouldn't be a problem. You only need to make a hosts file if CU-SeeMe
gives you the GetHostByName() error.

Your problem is probably that you are using the Cornell version, and the
default receive maximum is set to 300. You need to use notepad to open and
edit the c:\windows\cuseeme.ini file. Find the section labeled [flow] and
then on the maxrecv line, change the value to 28 for a 28.8 modem, or to 14
for a 14.4 modem. Set the minrecv to 5 or 10. This should help you a lot.

Also you might want to check my illustrated users guide on my web page for
more info.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe