Quality of the Captivator?

Ron Elkayam (relkay01@fiu.edu)
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:30:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Rob Fleetwood wrote:

> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:09:30 -0700
> From: Rob Fleetwood <ROBFLEET@ix.Netcom.com>
> Subject: Re: Need capture card suggestion
>
> The Captivator works fine - less than $100. It is actually a
> VideoLogic product and, you are correct - they are NOT making them
> any more. However, please see the following message I received from
> VideoLogic affirming that there are still some around. Be careful
> not to get the Captivator Pro since it does not work with CUSeeMe.

Thanks for the tips! I checked out their homepage at
http://www.videologic.com and read some of the docs on the Captivator
and it seems it's a 24bit color card and that it works in Win'95.
That's basically all I cared about. I don't really care for the
capturing resolution that much, but it would be nice to know if
someone on the list has one of these boards.

Also, can B&W broadcasting be forced (to improve fps and to be able to
use it with FreeVue)? Or does it automatically gray-scales any color
input before sending it? And most importantly: how's the pic
quality - compared to, say, Connectix's b&w QuickCam?
Better/worse/same?

As a last note I know that Tiger Software sells them 800-888-4437, for
about $90.

Thank you for your help,
Ron.