Re: Would be new CU-SEEME user

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 08:17:06 -0700

At 08:23 PM 6/25/96 +0800, Richard P. Sy-Facunda wrote:
>Hi ! My brother and I would like to be connected using the CU-SEEME Video
>conferencing software. I am here in the Far East (Manila, Philippines)
>while he is living in Florida. We have the following hardware config :
>
>Philippines :
>1. 486DX-33
>2. TCP/IP - Trumpet Winsock
>3. Windows 3.1
>4. Windows Sound board
>5. Half Duplex 28.8 Modem
>6. Speakers
>7. Microphone
>
>Florida :
>1. 486DX
>2. America on Line
>3. Windows 3.11
>4. Windows Sound Board
>5. Half Duplex 14.4 Modem
>6. Speakers
>7. Microphone
>
> My brother is planning to buy the Digicam to be able to use the
>CU-SEEMe software. Will it work with the setup ? Or do we have to upgrade ?
>
> We had already tried the Internet Phone software. I was able to
>load it on my side and he has also done the same on his side. Although I
>can see his address on my software, I was not able to call him up and patch
>through. He. likewise could see my name on screen but was not able to link
>with me. This is the reason we are hesitant to get the DIGICAM. Please
>advise.
>

>Richard

Richard, magandang umaga,

In looking at your setup, I'd suggest the Florida site definitely upgrade
the modem to 28.8. (By the way, modems are not half-duplex. Do you mean your
sound cards are half-duplex? If so, you would be happier if you upgraded
your sound cards to full-duplex as well. Sometimes this only requires new
drivers be installed.) Your processors are just about the very minimum speed
which will work, but you should get something.

Internet Phone should work fine. I don't understand why you could not
connect. Were you able to contact, and successfully talk to, other people on
Internet Phone?

As for cameras, I'd recommend the black-and-white Connectix QuickCam.

Sige na,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net