Re:Would be new CU-SEEME user

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:28:31 -0500

>Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 20:23:52 +0800
>Sender: owner-CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
>From: "Richard P. Sy-Facunda" <vhorowitz@cyber.cyb-live.com>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Would be new CU-SEEME user
>
>Hi ! My brother and I would like to be connected using the CU-SEEME Video
>conferencing software. I am here in the Far East (Manila, Philippines)
>while he is living in Florida. We have the following hardware config :
>
>Philippines :
>1. 486DX-33
>2. TCP/IP - Trumpet Winsock
>3. Windows 3.1
>4. Windows Sound board
>5. Half Duplex 28.8 Modem
>6. Speakers
>7. Microphone
>
>Florida :
>1. 486DX
>2. America on Line
>3. Windows 3.11
>4. Windows Sound Board
>5. Half Duplex 14.4 Modem
>6. Speakers
>7. Microphone

Richard...modems are FULL DUPLEX nowadays. The SOUND CARD is probably only
half duplex, tho. As long as the sound card is soundblaster compatible, it
should work, but DON'T expect very good audio at those speeds. Try IPHONE
for audio while using CU for the video. The White Pines version of CU does
audio better than the Cornell version, but still not really usable.

> My brother is planning to buy the Digicam to be able to use the
>CU-SEEMe software. Will it work with the setup ? Or do we have to upgrade ?

If you mean the BLACK AND WHITE Connectix QUICKCAM, then yes, it will work
with both the Cornell and/or the White Pines version. You might want to
stay away from the COLOR Quickcam for now, until Connectix fixes some driver
problems, and the Cornell version won't work with the color quickcam, either.

> We had already tried the Internet Phone software. I was able to
>load it on my side and he has also done the same on his side. Although I
>can see his address on my software, I was not able to call him up and patch
>through. He. likewise could see my name on screen but was not able to link
>with me. This is the reason we are hesitant to get the DIGICAM. Please
>advise.

Then you musta done somebody wrong (sorry, I digress to the Allman Brothers
song). Keep playing with it. If you can see his name there, then you
should be able to talk to him. Play around with your settings some, and
you'll probably get it figured out. I'm no IPHONE expert or I'd give you
some better advice on it.

>Richard

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC