Re: Hardware Help For CU... -Reply

PAUL SLIWA (PSLIWA@gw.paradyne.com)
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:11:35 -0400

CuSeeme and video cards

Mad Scientist,

I have add on video capture cards, Winnov, and Sony cameras. On my
network link, 384k, I am still only getting 3 to 5 fps using the Enhanced
Cu. If you know of a way to get the fps up, I would be very, very asking
of your configuration.

I am running 100Mhz Pentiums with 16mb ram on both sides. I'm using
WFW TCP32 under WFW. My connection is point to point over my stand
alone Ethernet. The link is 384k and I have my max send/receive set at
380k. The most I ever see my transmit rate hit is ~200k.

Do you think the shortcoming of my setup is weak hardware?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Paul

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Dave Easton wrote:

> One of the prime basics of CU, as I see it, is no hardware processing
> is required, it's all done in software. Other systems REQUIRE some >

<stuff deleted>

The problems are not with the colour CuSeeMe software entirely. They
only occur when using the colour QuickCam. This is because the colour
CuSeeMe does not support the VIDEC compression method used by the
colour QuickCam. We are all hoping that White Pine Software (the
makers of colour CuSeeMe) will add this feature soon. The colour
CuSeeMe does not have these problems when used with a video
capture card and a camera.

Instead of your proposed daughterboard, it would be a whole lot simpler
to get a video capture card and a camera. Either that or wait till the
abovementioned feature is added to the colour CuSeeMe software.
Even then, I expect that the video capture card and camera combination
will give a faster sending frames per second than the QuickCam, as I
expect that a capture card could compress the video better.

-------------------------- s324131@student.uq.edu.au