Green worms

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 08:52:50 -0700

At 08:54 AM 6/28/96 -0500, Mark Farone wrote:
>From: strev@mobius.net on Fri, Jun 28, 1996 12:01 AM
>
>>>At 04:43 PM 6/27/96 -0400, jerry burchfiel wrote:
>>>I'm using CU Seeme 0.83 b3 on my 68K Mac with a B&W Connectix Quickcam.
>>>
>>>1. Will the same software work with the new Connectix color Quickcam for
>Mac?
>>>
>>>2. A friend has been trying to connect to me from a PC with a color
>>>Quickcam. He sees me fine, but can't send video to me. Do you expect that
>>>this is an incompatibility between his PC and my Mac, or his color Quickcam
>>>and my B&W Quickcam?
>
>>The Cornell versions of CUSeeMe cannot (presently) receive color
>>transmissions, only Enhanced CU, both Mac and PC, can receive color. This is
>>too bad because you can be waiting there until hell freezes over and all you
>>will see is a gray box. In the very least, there should be some message that
>>the video is unavailable because it is in color. Don't you think?
>
>I would be interested to hear if anyone has been able to receive color video
>with a similar setup, and if so how you managed it. I have a PPC6100/66 using
>ECU (PPC version) and a b/w QuickCam. When I receive color video signals,
>they look like green worms are running through the window eating each other.
>Yucky.
>
>Mark Farone
>mark_farone@sfa.ufl.edu

Mark,

I like your description of "green worms". Very apt. However, it sounds to me
like your connection speed is too low. At what modem rate are you
connecting, and to whom? My observation would seem to indicate that once the
picture "establishes itself" (which might take a minute or more), the "green
worms" disappear, and you can get a reasonable image. I have experimented
with 28.8, ISDN, and T1 connections. At 28.8 you can be lucky and get rid of
your worms, sometimes, but make sure you have no other demands for bandwidth
at the time you are trying to haul in the picture.

My biggest disappointment with the CQCW is the softness (sharpness)of the
picture it puts out. I run mine on the "medium" setting, but even at that
Elizabeth Taylor would have no wrinkles! :) Running sharpness on the "high"
setting seems to even further exacerbate the already huge CPU demands of the
camera, lowering the effective speed of my P150 from a 386 (running in
medium sharpness mode) to practically a 286 (when running in high sharpness
mode)... and I am exaggerating only slightly!...

Cheers,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net