Mobile videoconferencing and telemedicine

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 08:52:52 -0700

At 09:25 AM 6/28/96 -0400, ryan o. kaplan wrote:

>>Running Cu-Seeme on a duo 280c through the shared modem/printer port seems to
>>work fine, but I cannot get the camera to work at all when docked. Since
>>conferencing on the small screen is not the best thing I've ever seen, I'd
>>really like to get this to work on the larger screen attached to the dock.
>>Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>
>>Tom Longstaff tal@cert.org
>

>ryan o. kaplan ---> http://iliad.com/ryan
>take an odyssey --> http://iliad.com
>want more info? --> mailto:info@iliad.com
>120,000+ visitors > http://ogrady.org
>java -------------> http://www.iliad.com/phillyjug
>open eye syndicate> http://www.openeye.com
>free Wawa hoagies > http://www.hoagie.com
>
> odyssey systems corporation, USA
> 215-487-2200 fax. 2201

Hmm, Tom,

I can't think of any good reason why a docked-duo shouldn't work. I use CU
with a PB540 (without dock of course) and have no problems such as you
report. Could you have inadvertently turned AppleTalk back on when you
docked the unit on the port where the camera is attached? Can you get a
picture using QuickPict or QuickMovie applications? There should be a simple
explanation for this problem.

The only other culprit I can think of is system 7.5.3, to which I have not
yet upgraded, but I have certainly heard reports of lots of weird thingys
happening.

I should note that with a powerbook, or perhaps a pc-laptop for that matter,
just think of the possibilities! With a service like Ricochet (a radio-based
wireless ISP with unlimited service for $39.95/month here in the SF Bay
Area) you can take your laptop and camera, go to the beach and carry on a
videoconference at very low cost! Are we there yet? Well, no, of course not,
we are still on the bleeding edge, but all the pieces are in place. The
wireless service has to improve its speed (past the 14.4-28.8 which they now
advertise) and the camera has to work better in high-glare conditions and
the laptop's batteries gotta last longer, but all those things will happen
rather quickly...

I am experimenting with this stuff in van-based telemedicine. Most people
think I am nuts when I show them my "rig", but that is okay. I guess the
first radio transmissions, or tv transmission, or satellite transmissions
invoked the same sentiments among most.

This stuff WILL HAPPEN and it will happen sooner than you think.

Cheers,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net