Re: My new 'Net Server is dynamic!

Reiki Master (reiki3rd@main.worldreach.net)
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 15:02:32 -0700

michael sharp wrote:
> > > I just switched to a new 'Net provider. My old had static IP's Cool! But my
> > > new 'Net provider is dynamic! :(
> > >
> > > I understand now (after a little self-research) that there is a hosts file
> > > that CU needs to see, but does anybody truly know how to set up CU (either
> > > Cornell or W/P) to work with a dynamic IP??????
> > >
> > > Is there a way to have my Winsock update the hosts file everytime I log
> > > on?????
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > Here's the way I did it. Contact your Provider and ask what his IP
> > Address range is. Or, you can just jot down the different IP addresses
> > each time you log on and see what the range is. The first three numbers
> > should remain the same, only the last number should be changing. Then
> > you include the entire range in the HOSTS file, each on a seperate line.
> > Thus:
> >
> > 206.229.86.16 Stalker
> > 206.229.86.17 Stalker
> > 206.229.86.18 Stalker
> >
> > etc. until you have one for each number in the range. It's worked
> > wonderfully for me.
> > --
> >
> hmmmmmm..... I thought about doing that, but with no help what-so-ever
> from my new 'Net provider, I was afraid of trying. Doesn't using multiple
> IP's confuse the server????????

Well, it hasn't confused my server. I believe that the HOSTS file is only used to tell
CU-SEEME where to look for your IP address. Why it doesn't auto-detect this is beyond
me. I'm not convinced that the HOSTS file is looked at by the Server. As long as
CU-SEEME is feeding a valid IP address to the server it shouldn't get confused.

Give it a try and let me know how it works for you. I just remembered that I haven't
had a connect since I started doing it this way, but I haven't had a Failed GetHostName
error either. Of course, I've always had trouble getting a response from the
reflectors. If you happen to have a list of good reflector sites, I'd appreciate a
pass-on from you.

--

REIKI MASTER

*** Commit Random Acts Of Kindness And Sensless Acts Of Beauty. ***