Re: WP CU-SeeMe Ver 3.0

Col (colinj@dircon.co.uk)
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 12:47:17 +0100

Hi all,

I'm inclined to agree with all the points made - the essential one being
the speed. As a software developer, I can tell you I certainly would not be
sanguin about releasing the Beta 3.0 as is. It is far too slow. As a test I
ran it on a P75 with 32 Mb RAM, and it was almost unusable (2.1.1 works
fine on this setup). Is it just me, or does 3.0 seem to be processing video
even when you are not connected to a reflector and you don't have a local
window up? If so, this is bizarely redundant - yet it is the only
explaination I can think of for the slowness while you are in the phonebook
(it only does it once you have connected to a reflector and then hung-up,
it's fine when you first load up the software). Connection is fast enough,
but doing anything on the interface whilst you are connected is
frustratingly slow, and whole threads of conversation can go by before you
are in a position to contribute to chat again (why can 2.1.1 bring up a
hidden window instantly and 3.0 takes upto half a minute to do the same?).

There seem to be several additions that don't really add much value, like
the calling card business. These would be fine normally, but given the
slowness of the thing, they become iritating. All in all, though, I like
the interface, just hate the speed. Is it trying to do too much?

Colin Jackson
Production Controller
Argonaut Software