Re: Win95 Networking

Marc Lindahl (shark@dti.net)
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:50:06 -0400

At 12:39 PM -0400 6/14/97, Andrew Brennan wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Marc Lindahl wrote:

>> If you use TCP/IP as your protocol then it'll work. Install it, and get
>> rid of NETBEUI or NOVELL or any other protocols.
>
> I might have read Scott's message incorrectly, but it sounds like he
> has an existing network already. I wouldn't recommend removing any
> of his in-use protocols to *add* functionality.
>
> If you're not already using TCP/IP on these machines, add the protocol
> from the Network control panel and give both stations addresses (you
> might want to use ones like 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.2 to avoid any
> future conflicts with Internet sites). Once they're configured, start
> CU-SeeMe on the machine with the camera ... well, you know where to go
> from here, yes? :^)

Well, on the Windows network we run at Sonorus, we found when setting it up
that if you run more than one protocol at once, things act funny. Changing
the protocol doesn't take away from any functionality, Windows network
sucks just as much regardless of the protocol layer :) Let's face it,
NETBEUI and the others are ancient history. Might as well switch over to
TCP/IP and get it over with, you'll never have to switch again.

So... Scott, feel free to add TCP/IP, nothing like experimenting... but if
your networking starts to act up, get rid of the other protocols.

http://sonorus.com Sonorus, Inc.
http://bowery.com Bowery Records
http://home.dti.net/shark shark@dti.net (Marc Lindahl)
http://bowery.com/skoota un-official SKOOTA website
"They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're also Human Beings" -- Batman