Re: Win95 Networking

Marc Lindahl (shark@dti.net)
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 13:27:28 -0400

At 8:26 AM -0500 6/15/97, Don Castella wrote:
>Absent any other means of NETBIOS name resolution, such as an LMHOSTS file
>or a WINS server, removing NETBEUI protocol will disrupt Windows network
>connectivity

I've connected two Win95 machines directly together via Ethernet, using
TCP/IP as the only protocol, it works fine. As another poster said, with
TCP/IP you have to assign IP addresses manually (you could also set up a
DHCP host if you have a linux, mac, or NT machine), but that's it, it just
works. Also, as I've said, at Sonorus, Inc. we have TCP/IP as our intranet
protocol, with mostly Win95 machines, a couple of NT boxes, LINUX boxes,
and Macs, and no NETEUI, and Windows networking works fine there too. No
WINS, and no LMHOSTS file.

http://sonorus.com Sonorus, Inc.
http://bowery.com Bowery Records
http://home.dti.net/shark shark@dti.net (Marc Lindahl)
http://bowery.com/skoota un-official SKOOTA website
"They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're also Human Beings" -- Batman