Re: Modem compatibility problems in Flex 56

Mike (erazmus@wantree.com.au)
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 14:50:16

At 12:39 AM 6/29/97 +0100, you wrote:
>snip snip...
>>First of all, make sure that your modem settings are limited to 57,600.
>>Faster speeds will cause connection problems.
>
>My port speed runs faster than that even using a 28k modem. I often see
>speeds reported by FreePPP on my Mac in excess of 70,000 and on some
>occasions even 100,000 whilst using CU-SeeMe. Is there a special reason why
>the X2 modems require this restriction?

You are seeing compression based speeds - the 28.8K modem just cannot go
faster than 28800 bps. Your connection to PC might show bursts of speed
above that because the data (if it can) is decompressed and its 'effective'
speed seems higher - its not really - anyway not all data can be compressed
at the highest ratio...

rgds

mike
perth, Western Australia

>Adrian

Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it becomes
academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all that
theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of magic.
Massen