Re: Modem compatibility problems in Flex 56

Mark L. Bardenwerper (bardenwe@vbe.com)
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 16:47:36 -0500

Skip wrote:

> Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
>
> > Both with WFW 3.11 and WIN-95, I have no problems with 115.200 bps,
> > (with a 16550 UART, of course, and special 16550 drivers for WFW 3.11,
> >
> > with standard drivers included with WIN-95).
> >
> > If the tranfer speed on the telephone line is 56.800 bps, it is a
> > *must* that the transfer speed between modem and PC is **higher**.
> >
> > I am using an ELSA 28.8 TQV modem, 28.8 bps.
>
> My experience is the same as Rolf's. I have a USR 28.8 Sportster
> upgraded to 33.6. I routinely connect at 115,200 bps (16550 UART)
> running on Win95.

As I said, check with your provider. Chances are, your system is not yet
upgraded. VBE is one of the first. In fact, there will be support for 2x
as well on this system in the near future. I know I had problems with
one of my numbers until I adjusted this. Maybe you won't. The main
reason I provided this info was to alert you all to an upcoming trend.
One thing is for sure, it seems that you are going to have to buy a
modem that complies with your provider's equipment if you want to have
56K, at least at first. Most of the time 56K will be sold as a premium
service for a couple of bucks a month. Also, as I reported in an article
a little while back, some providers will no longer support 14,4.
I would like to hear from other people who have 56k. Has there been any
improvement in performance?

--

Mark L. Bardenwerper #:?) Technology...thoughtfully...responsibly.