Re: Cornell 1.0 - answers&questions

Phil (chrome@lcol.net)
Sun, 31 May 1998 01:58:34 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Godette <bgodette@idcomm.com>
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
Date: Sunday, May 31, 1998 1:22 AM
Subject: Re: Cornell 1.0 - answers&questions

>At 08:51 PM 5/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>Actualy this v 1.0 that is out is a hacked version and not the true V 1.0
>>that is out. Cornell will announce when they do a release of a released
>>version.
>>

>Hmmm, looks like "hacked" got a new definition while I wasn't looking. To
>be precise, it's the last official build from Steve Edgar back on April
>22nd, yeah everyone, 1.0 has been ready to go for over a month, and I've
>still not found any problems with it that I can nail down to the program
>itself, and absolutely *NO* protocol bugs (cleanest version of CU I've seen
>in terms of protocol, no garbage like certain versions of that "other" CU).
>If anything one could claim it's a beta version, but it's definately not
>"hacked". As for it not being castrated like the eventual official release
>is rumored to be is a different matter.

It has no major bugs that I can find either. I did find a minor annoyance,
that is the client can occasionally spew out about 5 or 10 lines of chat
from a previous reflector when you first enter a ref. It's happened once or
twice for me, and I've run this client for over 40 hours with a lot of
surfing and mouse-clicking. This is some really tight code!

White Pine Version 3.1.1 Build 16 is now available. This massive client
still has the bug where it doesn't save custom settings unless it's in the
mood. Manual dial can cause Win95 to crash hard -- blue screen of death.
The no-send "Build 25 bug" is fixed, but this is definitely not a finished
work.