Re: Advice on Unix platform and Reflector software

Tue, 2 Jun 1998 04:58:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Ong Liang Bu wrote:
> I am writing from National Institute of Education in Singapore. The
> institute is setting up a video-conferencing server using the Cu-Seeme
> software. For the start, we intend to use an IBM PC compatible with an
> Intel Pentium 200 MMX processor. I intend to install an Unix OS most likely
> Linux or SCO Unix. Anyone can advise which Unix platform is better and more
> stable?

If you are installing Unix for the sole purpose of running a reflector,
that may be overkill (depending on how much the reflector is used and may
crash). There's a Win95/NT version of the Enhanced Reflector which runs
quite nicely I've been told. It (and the other unix versions) are
available at http://www.dimensional.com/~bgodette
I'd recommend Linux since there doesn't seem to be a port of the Enhanced
Reflector to SCO. As far as stability, I'm not sure. I've never run
either personally.